Thursday, September 24, 2009

floor cushions : not just for beatniks

I wanted a family room that was cozy, inviting and above all, baby friendly. Does baby friendly = shabby? I really hope not.  There are lots of reasonably priced items out there that can bring color and character into your décor without looking cheap and beat-up.

Floor cushions are a way to combine comfort with functionality. I absolutely love the way they bring both color and texture into the room. (After all, whdoesn’t prefer to sit on the floor without losing sensation in their derriere?)  Just last week the Mister and I ate dinner on the pillows picnic-style, and of course, they always come in handy as extra seating for guests. When not in use, I lean them against the couch or stack them in a corner. 

If a $30 cushion is ruined with spit up or juice, I won’t lose much sleep. The best online resources for relatively inexpensive floor cushions are Overstock and World Market; in store, Target, Pier One and Marshall’s Home Goods were my highest success rate ($19.99-29.99). If you want to spend a little more, West Elm and Crate and Barrel are other resources (36.95-49.99). Ultimately, I settled on two cushions I found at Pier One for $29.99 each. 

                                  West Elm                                                  

Pier One

World Market



1 comment:

  1. what do you do with the cushions when you are done with them, keep them there or put them under the sofa or something?

    ReplyDelete