Wednesday, December 9, 2009

olive oil chocolate chip cookies


I've really enjoyed baking these past few weeks. The sense of accomplishment, the warm smells, the endless applause...it's all been quite lovely. Quite. 

Just one hitch. Each time I drop in a stick or two of buttery goodness into my creation, I cringe. The problem is that butter is so vital to a good baked product. The texture, the melt in your mouth factor, the mouth watering smell...isn't it worth a few clogged arteries? 

Luckily I was able to find a adequate substitute: olive oil.

These cookies turned out moist and fluffy. In fact, I sent two dozen cookies to work with the Mister and the he came back with an empty plate. In fact, he claimed they were all gone by lunch.

While the pudding cookies are my best work, these cookies are a slightly healthier alternative.  

Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup of chips (I used mint and dark chocolate)

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in separate bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients and gradually mix in remaining ingredients. The mixture will be sort of crumbly and should then be molded into small balls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees, 10-12 minutes. 

I baked them for 10 minutes, then threw them back in for another two minutes.

These are definitely going into my recipe box. They'd be great for a holiday cookie exchange or for a Christmas party.

No comments:

Post a Comment