Wednesday, July 14, 2010

indian veggie pancakes

She is crude, she is rude, she is a mess. If she doesn't like it, she throws it, spits it and yells. She is the Beast. The Beast is presenting me with a variety of challenges these days. In addition to making something that the Mister likes, I also need to take the Beast's meals into consideration. All her counter parts have a mouthful of teeth and she has two, it presents additional obstacles. Such as chewing. I must say, that she gums the hell out of her food when she likes it.

Anyway, I digress. Really, I want something healthy and tasty for the kid and if the Mister can eat it, then I can hit the bottle earlier rather than later. (Things burn when I drink and cook.)

I raided TJ's yesterday. I came back with the Multigrain Baking and Pancake Mix, among other items. Multigrain always sounds as if it tastes like dirt. Not the case this time. I wanted to make some veggie pancakes with Indian spices. My mother-in-law makes something similar called Appom, which is very tasty, but I'm looking for something a bit healthier (Appom involves coconut milk.)

Basically what I did was shred a bunch of vegetables and add some flax seed and spices to the basic pancake recipe.


Indian Vegetable Pancakes
1 cup pancake mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup shredded zucchini, carrots (TJ's has them ready-shredded) and peas
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder (tweak to your tastes)
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray frying pan, spoon mixture onto griddle and cook as you would a pancake.

We ate the pancake with what I thought was the best tasting yoghurt I'd ever had. It was actually sour cream. (Tee-hee) I'd suggest yoghurt for a healthy alternative. I really think you could put a lot of different veggies in the batter...corn and spinach might be good.

After spitting it out twice, the Beast finally chewed and once she tasted it, she ate the entire pancake. The Mister ate the other two.

Beast is satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment