Tuesday, December 28, 2010

gruyere and swiss spinach quiche and parm crusted cauliflower

For the last few weeks, I've had the itch to cook again. I can't explain my inspiration, but those around me, namely the Mister and the Super-Beast (oh yes, she has graduated to SUPER BEAST) don't need one.


I stumbled across a recipe for Gruyere Spinach Quiche. I wanted something with spinach because somehow we've ended up with three bags of
frozen spinach and no ambition to use it. Quiche is cool because it's relatively easy and just sounds like something incredibly fancy which took hours to make. (And that's how I roll.)
I love roasting vegetables (refer to chili broccoli and kale). I
think it's quick and healthy. In the spirit of adding something healthy, I also found a great recipe for cauliflower on Once Upon a Chef. I like throwing something in the oven. Setting the timer. And walking away. Somehow, I feel like I'm taking a short cut and getting off easy.

Gruyere and Swiss Spinach Quiche (inspired by Once Upon a Chef)

Ingredients
1, 9-inch deep dish frozen pie crust
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup thinly sliced shallots
4 large eggs
1¼ cups half and half
pinch ground nutmeg
¾ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon chili powder
1 cup grated Gruyere (I used the shredded Gruyere and Swiss mix from Trader Joe's)
1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach (make sure to take all the water out.)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the pie crust from freezer and leave it out for about 10-minutes. Prick holes throughout the pie crust so that the air has a place to escape and it doesn't explode. Bake on center rack for about 10-minutes. Take it out, and turn the oven down to 325 degrees. Saute the shallots in butter until they are clear. Once they are cool, spread them as the first layer on the pie crust. Mix together eggs, half and half, nutmeg, salt and chili powder. Sprinkle the Gruyere on top of the shallots, spread spinach evenly on top. Finally pour the egg mixture over the top. Cook for 55-60 minutes at 325.

It did take a bit longer. I increased the heat to 375 and cooked it for another 10-minutes. Perfect.



Parm Crusted Cauliflower (inspired by Once Upon a Chef)
Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper.

Heat oven to 375, cook for 40-50-minutes. Remove, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.

For the cauliflower, I was running tight on time so I just stuck it in the oven on 325 degrees for the 50 min. That did it. I would increase the heat in the future to 375 degrees. You just have to keep checking on it to see if it's browned or not. If it is, then take it out, add the parm and stick it back in for another five minutes.

This was my reaction from the Mister when he started eating the quiche:
"Mmm. This is good." Mmmm. This is good too." "This isn't very healthy, is it?"

No Sir, it is not. Which is why this meal is going to be a very sporadic addition to our meal rotations.

1 comment: