Wednesday, November 4, 2009

crispy kale


Leafy greens are my unsolved mystery - kale, collard greens, bok choy, swiss chard. I don't know the first thing about preparation. Leafy greens sound intimidating and tasteless. In my defense, mustard greens don't exactly sing out tasty. It's a pity because the leafy greens are full of the good stuff: protein, fiber, iron, vitamin c, folic acid and vitamin k. 

After an online search, I found a recipe for crispy kale. Definitely a keeper, I can't wait to make it for my parents when they come visit. It was like eating tissue thin potato chips. I followed a recipe posted for Jacques Pepin's Crispy Kale on Chowhound. I don't know who Jacques Pepin is, but he sounds fancy and experienced.

Crispy Kale

bowl of kale greens
salt
olive oil

Shred leaves into smallish pieces, removing the stems. Dry with a paper towel (they can still be damp). Sprinkle with oil and salt. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 250 degrees.

Crispy kale was a great snack/appetizer. I think I can offer it up to my in-laws as an alternative to their bhajias (battered and fried veggies) and to my Dad in lieu of his assortment of cashews and peanuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment