Thursday, November 12, 2009

shout out: the christmas tree shops


Doesn't it feel like every year Christmas starts earlier and earlier? This year I think it was mid-October when the mall started to look like Rudolph barfed up a bunch of tinsel and lights.

Many sane shoppers wonder who this blatantly grotesque display of commercialization is aimed at. Well, wonder no longer. It's me! I heart Christmas and it really can't start early enough for me. I've already put up two wreathes in the kitchen and some jingle bells on the front door. The dining room centerpiece is undergoing a green/red/gold overhaul and the Mister negotiated next week for the stockings. (After exclaiming, "But it's not even Thanksgiving!" while I was scampering down the hall with them.)

Two years ago, I stocked up on decorations for our condo in Philadelphia at Target's post-holiday sale, and at 70 percent off I made some really great buys. But this year I don't want to wait until after the holidays and we have a much bigger space to fill up with red and green. 

Enter The Christmas Tree Shops. Owned by Bed, Bath and Beyond and located throughout New England and the Midwest, The Christmas Tree Shops is an excellent place for a bargain. (It's "shops" and not "shop" because originally it was three shops in one.)

I've found misc for the kitchen, bedrooms, and of course, all the Christmas crap I could carry with my grubby little mitts. My favorite find was a console table that I put in our second floor hallway ($29.99). A new store opened a few months ago in Cherry Hill, NJ and that's the location I visited this past weekend. There were five aisles of wreathes, wrapping paper, linens, centerpieces, candle holders, fake trees and holiday cards. Unlimited and insane. The biggest downside was the crowd. (The amount of rudeness that ensues around the holidays never fails to amaze me.) I guess that's what I get for going on a Sunday afternoon.

My new console table.

If you've never been, it's worth the trip. The Mister loves a great deal, and we probably go once a month. In fact, when my Mom comes to visit she requests making a special trip out to Christmas Tree Shops. 

Check out the online circular for this week's deals.

1 comment:

  1. there is one of these close by here, i thought it sold only Christmas stuff. good to know!

    ReplyDelete