Tuesday, November 10, 2009

product review: trader joe's soy chorizo


Since the Mister is a vegetarian, creativity and research are of the utmost necessity. Sometimes, he'll come home with something new that he's found at the store. For example, Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo. I was initially very speculative; it's very oily and sort of nasty-looking when it comes out of the clear plastic encasement. I thought it was really messy and probably not worth the effort.

I was sort of combative about the Mister putting it in my Mac n' Cheese. I am a Mac n' Cheese purist. I don't like random ingredients such as red pepper flakes, Taco Bell fire sauce or hot dog in my Kraft Mac n' Cheese. And I certainly didn't want some fake soy chorizo that looked like something the neighbor's dog left in our yard. 

He eventually managed to get me to try a bite and I think it's safe to say that I've made an exception for TJ's Soy Chorizo. In addition to macaroni, I've added it to scrambled eggs and rice. It really adds a lot of flavor and substance to any meal. (For the rice, I just fried 1/2 chopped medium onion, 1-cup frozen vegetables and added 6-ounces of chorizo to 1-cup of cooked rice.) 

I found the nutrition facts for the chorizo online. If nothing else, it's a low-fat version of the original. Instead of all the oil, grease and fat of the original (it it wrong that just made my mouth water?) you get the essence of the original. It's the same for all the other faux meat products- bacon, sausage, chicken, meat crumbles...not as good as the real thing, of course, but less fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment