Tuesday, November 17, 2009

swiss chard and goat cheese soup

In my continued domination of leafy greens, I have swiss chard in my sights. Swiss chard is one of those superpower vegetables. Very high in vitamins A, K and C; it's also good for iron and fiber. When eaten raw it tastes nasty and bitter, but when it's cooked properly it tastes like a dainty version of spinach. It's so full of health benefits it's worth adding to our dinner menu.

In my eyes, soup can do no wrong. If I could eat soup every day, I probably would. And now that I think about it, there probably isn't any reason (short of my own laziness) that I can't eat soup every day. I found an easy and tasty recipe on Dianasaur's Dishes recipe blog

The recipe is only for two servings, and I adjusted the recipe for four servings and increased the amount of onion. It's very healthy and it doesn't really need the goat cheese. It's a light soup and tastes very fancy. The Mister was really impressed and thought this was the type of appetizer that would be great for a dinner party.

Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Soup

4 cups chopped swiss chard
6 cloves minced garlic
6 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons goat cheese
2 tablespoons milk
salt and pepper to taste

Saute swiss chard, onion and garlic in olive oil. Add broth and puree. Combine goat cheese and milk, add to the soup. Taste and add appropriate salt/pepper.

1 comment:

  1. looks promising. i bet you could even substitute feta for goat cheese? maybe. anyway i might like to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete