Friday, October 16, 2009

disappointments and successes

I'm cranky because of the weather and I think it's effecting my energy in the kitchen.

I haven't posted any recipes (besides the asparagus, which even a Domesmita could do) this week because I've been an absolute atrocity in the kitchen. Instead of feeling frustrated and dejected (which is usually followed by me getting angry and avoiding the kitchen for X amount of time), I'm going to use my culinary catastrophes as a learning experience.

Disappointments: Indian Frittata and Brownie Cookies

I'm deleting brownie cookie post because it's just a bad recipe. The cookies keep fusing together into a ghastly chocolate conglomeration. I tried using a muffin pan to keep them separate and they were too crispy around the edges and fluffy in the middle, nothing like cookies. I'm still taking them over to my cousin's house for Diwali tomorrow because because the men in my family will eat just about anything. Even funky half-muffin, half-crappy-brownie, not-cookies.

The Indian frittata (based on my Mom's Indian omelette) actually tasted really good, but did not resemble a frittata. I couldn't flip it in the pan and so it ended up sticking to the bottom and in the end was a mess of egg and veggies. I'm encouraged because it was very tasty and I received positive feedback. I'll have to figure out a more efficient method to bake before I post the recipe. Most frittata recipes involve half stove/half oven, but I don't have a pan that does both.

Successes: Crock Pot Chickpea Tonak

Tonak is a saucy dish with beans and potatoes to be eaten with bread, naan or rice. I've made this before in a frying pan, and I always get compliments. I'll post the recipe on Monday, it's actually very easy to make and I think it tastes better with the crock pot because the spices really soak into the food. 

Happy Diwali!

No comments:

Post a Comment