Monday, October 26, 2009

mexican bake

I found this great recipe for mexican bake in 2003. It was in Parade Magazine. I'm probably the only person in the world who still reads (or ever read) Parade Magazine. I like the celebrity question section on the first page and the cartoons about the big dog in the last page. As such, I do flip through the whole magazine to reach the end. I happened across this recipe and it looked easy enough. It's actually a DASH diet (dietary approaches to stop hypertension) recipe, but I'm pretty sure after my taste enhancements, it's no longer going to qualify as such.

My adaptation involves Morning Star meat crumbles instead of chicken and I also add enchilada sauce. Since I'm obsessed with cheese, I actually use a whole packet on top of the bake instead of the measly one cup that the DASH recipe suggests. If you are indeed looking for something healthy (blech) then here's the original DASH mexican bake recipe.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup cooked rice
1 bag Morning Star faux meat crumbles
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 15-ounce can frozen corn
1 15-ounce can black beans
1-tablespoon chili powder
1 can enchilada sauce (I prefer hot, but go with your comfort-level)
1 jalapeno, sliced
1 packet shredded monterey jack cheese

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread rice in casserole dish. Mix all remaining ingredients in bowl, then add to rice. Mix all together. Top with cheese and bake for 45-minutes covered.

Serve plain or with low-fat sour cream.

I did all the preparation during the Bebe's 30-minute nap. I love when everything comes out of a can! 

1 comment:

  1. Also tastes good if you sub in Mexican rice instead of white rice and season the meat with taco seasoning.

    ReplyDelete