Friday, October 16, 2009

my baking accountability

It sits atop my kitchen island, a vacant home beseeching to be filled with delectable baked tenants. 

It is the cake dome.

I was seized with an inexplicable urgency to buy the dome, and it then sat empty on the kitchen counter for weeks. There was an in-depth conversation with my sister and her boyfriend about the invisible cupcakes, cookies and cakes that existed within the cake dome. Sometimes visitors would walk up to the dome and simply stare, perhaps wishing that some cupcakes would miraculously materialize.

The final straw was when I was gifted some banana bread muffins and I put them in my dome. A relative that was over, asked if I made the muffins. When I said no, there was a look of understanding that passed through her eyes as she sauntered away having solved the mystery of the baked goods that I could not have possibly made.

Since then, I have been a baking fiend. No one really cares if Dunkin Hines provides assistance in your baking endeavors. You still get the same credit as if they were prepared from scratch. Last night, the Mister complimented me on the fluffiness of my carrot cake muffins and asked me how I did it. Well, I followed the directions on the back of the Betty Crocker box. Check out my skills.

Unfortunately, cookies are different. There is a hierarchy of cookies and from scratch is at the top. With Christmas coming up, I'm going to have to figure this out soon.

Pictured below is the cake dome I purchased from Macy’s for $29.99.


No comments:

Post a Comment